Friday, June 10, 2011



I have finally decide that we need a blog. I decided this for a couple of reasons. One is the fact that I have become terrible at keep a journal. I figure if I can't keep up a journal at least I can print off the blog and I will have something. That is the plan at least. It may just become another thing that I cannot keep up. The other reason would have to be that I think I deserve one. If everyone else has one why can't I? If everyone else jumped off a cliff would I? Interesting question. I'm really not sure. If everyone else was gone would I want to be the only person left?
The reason I started this today was because of our roofing project. I am stuck in the house with the kids and my sister Katie Anne and it is getting boring. Isabelle is asleep and the boys are playing with Katie Anne. When Tom told me he was taking Thursday and Friday off to do the roof I thought it would be great because there was no way it would take two days to take shingles off the roof. WRONG! Apparently the people who inhabited this house before us thought that removing old shingles was a waste of time and so there are SEVEN layers on our house. Tom and my brothers have been at it forever. It smells pretty bad. Hopefully the new roof will get rid of the old moldy smell we seem to get in the summer. Our new siding looks fabulous but probably should have been done after the roof. I am trying to ignore the marks that the falling shingles are leaving.
By the time we finish with all of these little projects it will almost be like we built a whole new house. There is very little we have not done to it. I give credit to Will Smith, no not that one, for giving us this opportunity to learn new skills and work on our patience. He put a lot of effort into making our house what it was when we got it. After all of his hard work I feel a little built guilty destroying it all. He must have put years into all of the projects that we paid the dumpster people to take away. It is nice to finally say that there are no more naked mermaids, scary decks, rotting walls, barred windows, evil paneling, crazy wiring, leaky windows filled with years of tissue, and many other creative fixes that cause contractors to laugh uncontrollably. I feel tired just thinking of all the hard work Tom does around here!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE your new blog!

    You've made your house so nice. Tom's amazing. Tell him when he's done there we've got some projects here he can get started on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I'm glad you have a blog :) I'm adding it to my blogroll.

    And hooray for the new roof. :D I like Tom's hat!

    ReplyDelete