Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chickens in the trees

Growing up I had a few requirements for the man I was going to marry. He had to be tall, have a fancy car, and a farm. Out of those three requirements Tom meets one. He is tall. This ended up being fine because people change as they grow up. The things I wanted as a ten year old were not the same things I wanted as a twenty year old. As the years went by I realized I didn't need a fancy car. I do have an awesome minivan so I can't complain. I also grew to hate animals the older I got. I also grew a deep passionate anger for the owners of animals who think everyone wants their nasty animal to jump on them. I told Tom when we got married that we were NEVER having any animals. A few months ago my brothers all started talking about how they were getting chickens. I'm not really sure what happened, but somehow we ended up getting nine chickens. My brothers did not.

This is Gretchen, Buttercup, and Sunshine when they were new.
Tom and Brevan holding Sunshine.
Xander and Amelia
Amelia, Buttercup, Emily, and Grace
Gretchen and Cicil
So we have chickens. Us. The amazing thing is, we totally love them! They have been so much fun! Xander and Brevan chase them around the backyard and Isabelle loves to watch them. They are so fun in fact, now I want a bunny, a goat, and a sheep. They probably won't fit in our yard and the neighbors might complain. I almost bought a bunny today but I controlled myself. I think I am going to buy a farm when I have my midlife crisis.

5 comments:

  1. You may be going through a sort of crisis, but I guarantee that if you break down and get chickens, bunnies etc, you will be the favorite Mom! (you go girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to call Gretchen Cruella. (Also--when they start laying eggs, I want to buy some)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is too funny! Glad to see you have a blog. I really need to get busy on mine again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need a rooster. Then your neighbors will love you.

    They'll never be late for work again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we have two roosters. Gretchen and Feeder. I suppose Gretchen could be Gerard. If that is the case they are out of here.

    ReplyDelete