Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day

Happy Father's Day! I have always felt lucky because I have a totally awesome dad. When people would complain about their parents in high school I always felt so blessed to have such great people as parents. I feel like I was raised by two different dads. There was the dad that could do back flips and run really fast, and then there was the dad that could limp with style. Lucky for me they were both pretty funny. When I was little I wanted to write a book about our family and have my dad draw the pictures. He was very encouraging I thought he could draw better than anyone. The book might have been a success, but one chapter into it I realized I was pretty much copying Little House on the Prairie, and that really wasn't my family. I used to worry that I would never find anyone as cool as my dad when I got married...but I did!
Tom is a wonderful dad. He is calm when I feel crazy and the kids have a great time with him. I worry sometimes when they have "crazy time" but so far nothing has gotten broken. All three of our children's first words have been "dad," no matter how hard I try to lead them in other paths. When Tom cooks he always lets Xander and Brevan help him even though it takes a lot longer that way. Whatever project he is doing around the house he has little people trying to help out. It is only a matter of time before Isabelle joins in. He has also changed more diapers in four years than most men probably change in a life time. I don't know how I got so lucky! I think he gets it from his dad. Tom's dad is a wonderful dad who is very considerate of his wife and takes time out for his children. I am grateful to him for being a great example to Tom and for teaching him to be who he is today.
Happy Father's Day to all of the wonderful dads out there. We couldn't make it without you.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for getting a blog!!! I'm blessed with a great dad too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog! You can do it! And for the record, I bet Steven may be neck-in-neck with Tom on diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you Shari! Congrats on the news! You will be a super Mom.
    Liz, Steven may be neck-in-neck with the diapers this year, but it will take him two more kids to catch up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristy, I agree with you that Tom does make a pretty great Dad. I also agree that he had a wonderful example. I also think that one of the smartest things Tom ever did was to marry you! Go Tom! Happy Father's Day to all 3 of the Dad's in your life.

    ReplyDelete