Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Outlets

"Said Miss Clevel it seems to me, he needs an outlet for his energy. A chest of tools might be attractive, for a little boy who is very active."
-Ludwig Bemelmans

My kids are always in need of a way to get out their energy. They all have different ways that I find work the best for them.

I haven't found Isabelle's yet. When she is upset or doesn't want to cooperate she throws a tantrum and falls on the floor. She doesn't care how hard the floor is or what is going on around her. In this picture she is at the airport protesting the unfairness of not being able to run where she wants. I need a trick to dealing with her but so far I am losing. She was so mellow until she learned to walk a few months ago that this all came as a surprise.
When Xander and Brevan are cooped up for too long things are not pretty. Recently they got some chalk from their Oma for memorizing the first two Articles of Faith. It was really too cold outside for this, but after 15 minutes they were tired and cold and happy.

When Xander starts to get grumpy he needs to work. If he is given some odd job to do he works hard and has a great time. This is him sanding the walls in the new room. He did such a great job there wasn't any putty left in some places and it had to be redone. It started out as a punishment but he thought it was the best thing since Riding the Front Runner to Ogden.
One day everyone was fighting so I gave them all clorox wipes and had them scrub things. I thought they would be upset but they thought it was fun. It did stop the fighting though and I guess that was the point. They were all happy and playing together afterwards. Isabelle even helped. Another time I had them scrub parts of the floor. I think I might have discovered something wonderful. Less work for me and happy kids!

3 comments:

  1. You should make them happy EVERY day. Next -- washing dishes! Doing Laundry! Then Grocery shopping! You'll be livin' the life with your feet propped up saying "kids I have some fun -- for you"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've discovered the secret of being a mom that gets things done...being sneaky. You get them to do things but make them think it's their idea! Sneaky!

    ReplyDelete